Monday, February 15, 2010

BBQ Pulled Pork In A Crock Pot

BBQ PULLED PORK IN A CROCK POT
This recipe was courtesy of daughter Jaime who is a mighty fine cook.
As I do with all my recipes I tweaked it to my taste.
This recipe is beyond easy to make.
Sorry BUT I tend to ramble sometimes so
PLEASE READ THE WHOLE RECIPE BEFORE starting.

INGREDIENTS...OR WHAT YOU NEED BEFORE YOU GET STARTED.
1 Pork Roast - Size depends on the size of your crock pot. (1*see note below)
1 or 2 Bottles of BBQ sauce. (2** see note below)
1 Tablespoon of regular yellow mustard
Salt & Pepper
Maple Syrup or 3 large squirts of pancake syrup. (3*** see note below)
Soft crusty rolls or hamburger buns
OPTIONAL:
Shredded lettuce, thin sliced onions, pickles or whatever choice of condiments you prefer.

ASSEMBLY..... OR WHAT YOU NEED TO DO BEFORE YOU COOK IT.
Dump the entire bottle(s) of BBQ sauce, salt and pepper,
yellow mustard and the syrup (if using) into crock pot.
Add pork roast and turn it over and over and over to ensure the meat is completely
coated with and immersed down in the sauce.

NOTES BELOW:
1*Next time I make this I will cut the pork in half through the he middle of the roast so the pieces are smaller and fit down deeper into the crock pot. Then I will add extra sauce
so the pork in completely immersed in the liquid.
(I don't mean that you cut the amount of meat in half I mean that you slice the
pork roast in half......you knew that didn't you?....I am going to stop now...)

2**Make sure there is enough BBQ sauce to cover the pork completely.
I have a really big crock pot. I used one bottle of sauce only and thought that the sauce was really skimpy.
Also make sure the BBQ sauce you use is one of your very favourites! I couldn't get my favourite sauce so I bought and used one that I have tried before and though was OK in a pinch. The dish turned out good BUT I figure if the final product tasted that GOOD with my second choice of sauce, how GREAT will it taste with our number one choice of BBQ sauce? I can hardly wait to make this again with my fave BBQ sauce.

#3*** The syrup was not called for in the original recipe and was added by me. I would have used real maple syrup but I didn't have enough on hand so I had to use the pancake syrup. It worked out OK.
I like a more sweet and tangy BBQ sauce, that is why I added the sweet stuff.

MAKING.....OR HOW YOU COOK IT :
Put the ingredients in the pot and set the temperature setting to LOW.
THIS IS IMPORTANT!
Make sure you use the low setting. Don't be tempted to use the High setting or I guarantee you that you will be a unhappy camper with very dried out, tough pork.
So put it on LOW and let it cook for 7 to 8 hours.
PUT ON THE LID AND LEAVE IT ALONE!!! NO PEEKING!!!
Supper will be done when you get home from work or shopping or gardening or whatever.

SERVING.....OR HOW YOU EAT IT.
Just before you sit down to eat, take the pork out of the crock pot and shred it with two forks, put the shredded meat back into the sauce and stir until everything is coated again.
Put the crock liner in the middle of the table (on a hot pot pad of course) and let everyone serve themselves.
Take a large spoon of the meat with sauce and put on your buns
(the hamburger buns or crusty rolls...not your buns...unless your into that type of thing and I don't want to know about it if you are)
then add...or do not add... chopped lettuce and/or condiments.
Yum!!! Yum!!! Yum!!!!

1 comment:

  1. You must remember from my past blog notes how much I detest my crankpot. But...I trust you Lois. So I will try this. And I will pray it works.

    ReplyDelete